Add to Google Reader or HomepageAdd to PlusmoSubscribe in BloglinesAdd to Technorati Favorites

Monday, May 4, 2009

An Interview with Raku Artist Nancy Wright


c 2009 Nancy Wright

An Interview with rakuchic on eBay, Nancy Wright

Nancy sells her art on ebay, follow this link .


Adrienne La Vallee, aka ambercolumbia, talks with Nancy Wright, aka rakuchick

Nancy, aka rakuchic, was very young when she "first found...expression through art".She was hooked on the medium the first time she touched clay in a non-credit ceramics class. Later, she was inspired by her mentor, William Hynes, a ceramics professor at Shippensburg University. Today, Nancy is a full time artist.

ambercolumbia: Congratulations, Nancy, on being the first place winner in the Artists' Choice Awards Pottery category and thank you for participating in this interview!

rakuchic: Thank you! I am truly honored and inspired by this wonderful award. There is no praise more flattering than that from ones peers.

ambercolumbia: Nancy, when I think of your work, I envision the beautiful, classic forms along with the rich color you achieve. For people who may not understand your artform, would you give us an idea of how your finished surfaces are created?

rakuchic: Thank you. I use Soldate 60 clay which is a very smooth and "plastic" clay. I have found this particular claybody allows much more height when wheel-throwing and strength when firing. Because of the rapid temerature changes, sand must be added to the clay to absorb thermal stresses and even with this, breakages are, unfortunately, common. As far as the finished surfaces, it has been a "hit or miss" when it comes to my favorite glazes. My favorites are the ones with copper because the uniqueness of the finished product. Raku differs from traditional electric kiln firing (oxidation) in that through the final process, (called reduction) the lack of oxygen coupled with combustibles in the airtight container, creates rainbows of rich color, metallics and carbon coloration. The firing is always exciting and quite awe-inspiring if done in darkness. The temperature of the kiln reaches around 1800 degrees, so when the piece is exposed as it is removed with tongs, it is a glowing and beautiful sight to behold.(My Professor used to compare it to Marilyn Monroe's lipstick!) I have accumulated glaze recipes over the years and have always mixed the glazes myself.

ambercolumbia: Do you have a studio and how do you find balance between your work and your friends and family?

rakuchic: I turned my sunroom into my studio. Lots of natural sunlight is wonderful. I moved two years ago to the Charleston, SC area from PA where my much larger studio was in my basement with little natural sunlight. I find now, I am inspired more while having the ability to open the windows, feel the wonderful South Carolina breezes and see nature. Everyone knows when I am working…in the "zone," I need my alone time. When sales are good, I spend about 30 hours a week in the studio including firing. My children are grown now and I live alone, so besides my THIRTY pound cat, I am only limited to my own expectations. A funny story about my cat, Einstein. He believes my clay table is his own, so he is always close by when I am working. He is obviously not aware of his size and has, more than a few times, believed he could crawl inside the not-yet fired and still wet pieces. I have since learned to keep them out of reach of his "delusions." haha.

ambercolumbia: How does your inspiration for a piece come to you? Do you envision your end results or does the process of creating lead to the unexpected? It sounds as if Einstein might help to create a little of the unexpected, too.

rakuchic: I have a binder next to my bed. My ideas usually come to me right before I fall asleep. Sometimes I plan what I will create, but I mostly allow the piece to evolve without intended results. For example, there are times when I have an idea for a lid, sculpt it, then find it to be disappointing after placing it atop a piece. My visions are not always to my liking, so I change, manipulate, and re-create until they feel spacially and visually appealing to me. I have found that I am a very "symmetrical" thinker. That carries over into my work. As far as color, If I am brave enough to attempt a re-fire, I will sometimes add another layer of glaze, hold my breath, and re-fire. I normally just let "fate" do what it will and have learned with breakages, come lessons and patience.

ambercolumbia: Are there other forms of art you’d like to try and why?

rakuchic: I would love to try glass blowing to incorporate it with clay. I have always found blown glass work to be very free and beautiful.

ambercolumbia: What was the first piece you sold and when?

rakuchick: I sold a wheel-thrown piece at a festival before it was even fired! We were doing a demonstration outside and someone watching approached me and asked "how much for that piece?" I had no idea, so I said "How about $50?" He said SOLD! I was in shock and at the same time thrilled. I sold many pieces that day. That was about 12 years ago I guess.

ambercolumbia: Why did you decide to sell art on eBay and do you sell elsewhere?

rakuchic: My very bright daughter suggested Ebay to me when she was 12 years of age. Now, I sell to galleries from Ebay as well as to the private collector. I enjoy the opportunity to communicate with my buyers through Ebay. I have tried gallery consignment, but have never found the right fit for my work.

ambercolumbia: Do you keep much of your work?

rakuchic: My Mother has all my favorite pieces in her home. She has always been my greatest support and always made certain I was given any materials I needed when growing up. She was the "first' artist I ever knew with her talent being sewing and Interior design. She decorates her home "around" my work and always shows great pride in me as an artist. I am very fortunate, indeed. Both my children also have collections of their own as well as my sister. They are all my biggest "fans."


c 2009 Nancy Wright

ambercolumbia: If you were not an artist, what would you be and why? rackuchick: A psychologist. I have always been perceptive; sometimes I consider it a curse. So, because of that, I tend to notice life and human beings as an opportunity to learn and grow. I have always been fascinated by the human condition and am inspired in my work because of that. For example, the female figures I sculpt represent both the strength and the vulnerability of women in their roles in today's society. My vessel shapes tend to be feminine, and the sculptures atop the lids, tend to reflect my mood. Our expression is our art, and our art is our self-descriptor. That certainly proves true with me. ambercolumbia: I have enjoyed our conversation and wish you the greatest success in 2009.

Nancy sells her art on ebay, follow this link to her store: http://stores.ebay.com/Nancy-Wright-Raku-Pottery


Adrienne La Vallee, aka ambercolumbia, talks with Nancy Wright, aka rakuchick



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Betty Lou Schlemm artist and author

LEARN about HOSTAS

LIVING WELL