Add to Google Reader or HomepageAdd to PlusmoSubscribe in BloglinesAdd to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Tin Whistler in my GARDEN by Amber Columbia



Every year, the Tin Whistler and I venture forth in search of just the right hosta, an unusual perennial plant, or a funky little garden ornament. She is a potter who makes beautiful naked raku vessels; I am a painter.

We met many years ago when I was 17 and our boyfriends were neighbors so of course, we 'double dated'. Years passed and boyfriends somehow turned into husbands.

From the moment I met the Tin Whistler I liked her. She was quiet, actually very reserved, but had a great gift for attracting friends. Her friends were usually outgoing and often opinionated (like me!). Over the years I met quite a few of her friends; many have become mine.

This year's pursuit took us many miles. She drove us, despite the threat of rain, far into the Helderburg Mountains, near the upper Catskill Range in New York state. The location wasn't new to either of us, we have been regular visitors to the Helderledge Nursery for over 15 years. We roamed the grounds and made our way into the hosta area and found the hostas that were to be ours. Hosta Blue Mouse Ears is now MINE and I added Paul's Glory, although I think I purchased it on a previous visit, too.

The next day, the Tin Whistler and I followed each other to a nursery that had been written about in the New York Times a few days earlier. It's the Loomis Nursery in Claverack, NY. Claverack is about five miles off the Taconic Parkway near the Hudson River. Loomis' prices were DEAR, very dear. Their container gardens were as wonderful as the Times author had stated, but prices on the individual perennials were out of our range. Our time together was sweet, I enjoyed every moment of her company.

Almost a year and a half ago I didn't think I would enjoying a gardening day with my friend, again. She is a cancer survivor of the greatest grace and dignity. She waited months before 'worrying' anyone with the news that had shocked her and her husband. The Tin Whistler was suffering from cancer of the salivary gland. It's a rare cancer, and especially rare in women. What was worse was that two of the four expert institutions who reviewed the pathology said it was a melanoma.

The Tin Whistler is an eternal optimist and went with the optimistic reports and began the treatment for salivary gland tumors which consist of radiation and other medications and monitoring. She told me something I didn't know~ once the treatment is over, life doesn't return to the way it was prior to CANCER. She said that doctors continue to monitor your progress on a regular basis and any mark, ache, or pain that you experience brings the fear back into your heart.

The Tin Whistler doesn't dwell on any of this. She is living her life to the fullest~ performing in Irish sessions throughout the Capital District of New York; searching for the perfect hosta for her garden, and offering her brand of love and friendship to all. I'm one of the luckiest people on earth to have the Tin Whistler in my garden!


Paul's Glory


Mouse Ears


Gateway to the back portion of the Tin Whistler's Garden.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story and beautiful friendship you have. I also love Hosta's and those you picked are some of the prettiest I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had hostas, one on each side of my steps. We had our foundation repaired and a french drain installed. I forgot about the hosta, and on one side in the middle of gravel up popped two this year. I thought both were lost! I can't believe all the soil that was turned, and still the hosta remained. This is the first year it bloomed too. :) Just found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to have been off of my blog for so long...LIFE sometimes prevents things. Thanks so much for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Betty Lou Schlemm artist and author

LEARN about HOSTAS

LIVING WELL